Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Shrimp Po'Boy Sandwich

I think that I may have mentioned I am so ready for spring!  I have decided to get my spring cleaning started early.  The boys both have spotless rooms....outgrown clothes and toys donated....and I am headed out for paint next week.  Feeling pretty good about the progress so far.

After cleaning today I took a look in the freezer to see what might be good for dinner tonight.  I had totally forgotten about a bag of jumbo shrimp that I had picked up at Safeway for $5 Friday.  I tossed around a few ideas....pasta....Asian stir-fry....but in the end it was shrimp po'boys.

I grabbed a few fresh rolls and a bag of shredded cabbage....mmm...delish!  I do however wish that I could find a way to faux fry the shrimp and yet keep them crunchy and tender.

 
 
First mix up the sauce...combine mayo, water, Franks, minced garlic and red pepper flakes.



Peel and clean the shrimp.

Mix together flour and Cajun seasoning.  Beat an egg together with a little bit of cold water.

When I am coating anything to fry I will toss it in flour....egg wash...and then back into the flour.  Be sure to shake off excess flour before placing into the hot oil.

Place breaded shrimp into hot oil.  Fry for 1 1/2 minutes per side then remove from oil and place on paper towel to remove excess oil.
 


Slice open the roll and spread a bit of the sauce onto the inside of the bread.  Spread shredded cabbage on top of sauce and then lay on the cooked shrimp.  Drizzle more sauce on top if desired.  I didn't have a tomato....but my husband and I both thought that it might be a yummy addition.

Shrimp Po'Boy Sandwich
 
16 - 20 Jumbo Shrimp
4 soft rolls
shredded cabbage
2 cups flour
 1/8 cup Cajun seasoning
1 egg
water
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tbsp milk
1/8 cup Franks hot sauce
1 tsp minced garlic
red pepper flakes to taste
 
1.  Whisk together mayonnaise and milk.  Add hot sauce, garlic and pepper flakes whisking until well combined.
 
2.  Peel and clean the shrimp.
 
3.  In shallow dish combine flour and Cajun seasoning mix.  In another bowl beat egg adding water.
 
4.  Add oil to large pan....enough to cover the bottom.
 
5.  Toss shrimp in flour...dip into egg wash and then toss again in flour.  Shaking gently to remove excess flour. 
 
6.  Place shrimp into hot oil....frying 1 1/2 minutes on each side.  Remove from oil and place on a paper towel to allow excess oil to drain off.
 
7.  Slice rolls open...spread on sauce...add cabbage and shrimp....drizzle extra sauce if desired.
 
 
Enjoy!  And remember Spring is right around the corner.


No comments:

Post a Comment