Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Chicken Pot Pie Soup

Nothing screams "cozy comfort food" more than a great chicken pot pie.  I have a great recipe for chicken pot pie that is a family favorite.  For me the flaky buttery top crust is what it is all about.  Of course I do have one family member (Jacob) that does not like the crust...top or bottom and will scrape out all of the creamy filling and just eat that.  I know!  Really?....who's kid is he?  I don't complain too much though....because I usually snitch his top crust.

So when I came across this recipe for a soup version over at www.shugarysweets.com I was thrilled....and actually thought...why hadn't I thought of this?  I did make a couple of changes to ingredients...but other than that I stayed pretty true to the recipe.  I wish I would have doubled the recipe though....both boys were looking for seconds....and there were none.  I guess that is a good sign.  Bottom line....it was delish!  Creamy and flavorful without using a "cream of anything" soup.  I chose to use 2 cups of 2% milk rather than 1 cup of milk and 1 cup of heavy cream and it turned out great.

Instead of making strips out of the pie crust I took a biscuit cutter and made little discs.....we just tucked them in like you would crackers.

Chicken Pot Pie Soup
 
  • 2 cup chicken, cooked and diced
  • 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
  • 1/2 yellow onion, diced
  • 3 celery stalks, diced
  • 1/2 cup carrots, diced
  • 1/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup chicken broth 
  • 2 cups milk 
  • pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper  
  • 1/2 package pie crust (I used Pillsbury), thawed
  •  

    1.  In a large pot, melt butter over medium high heat. Add onions, celery and carrots and cook to soften about 3-5 minutes. Sprinkle with flour and cook an additional minute, stirring constantly. Slowly add broth, milk, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Use a whisk to combine, then add in cooked chicken. Heat over medium heat until warm, about 10-15 minutes.


    2.  To make crust strips, unroll thawed pie crust (for one crust). Cut into strips and lay on parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake in a 450 degree oven for 6-8 minutes, until browned. Remove from oven.
     
    3.  To assemble, Ladle soup into bowls and top with warm crisp pie strips. 
     
     
     
     
    Happy Wednesday!  Enjoy!
     
    

    No comments:

    Post a Comment