Thursday, September 26, 2013

Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole

 I don't know about anyone else but I am so ready for the weekend. I have been dealing with Jakey's cold, getting Matt fitted for a homecoming tux and making sure Ray has what he needs to go on a fishing trip this weekend. Throw in a 5 hour power outage Tuesday morning and I would say I kinda deserve a weekend soon. Thank goodness we have just a little over 24 hours til Friday Happy Hour.


I have been doing pretty good lately finding great recipes that the entire family will enjoy. Recipes that are quick, ingredients most of us have on hand and super delish.  When I make a new dish and both boys tell me that it is "Blog Worthy" I know that I have succeeded.  I found this over at www.madefrompinterest.net.  There are many versions out there....I have made something very similar from Gooseberry Patch....equally as good.  I found that this came together very quick....and the sauce is way good!
 
I made this as a going away dinner for our sweet Sarah who was leaving for college.  Sarah became a part of our family several years ago.  She volunteered her time helping out in the daycare/preschool that I had in my home and also was Jakey's babysitter on the rare occasion that Ray and I ever got a night out.  We love her to pieces and we wanted to make her a great "comfort food" meal before she went off to a life of Top Ramen.



 In fact she sent me a message last night and told me that her first day was great and she was eating "Cup O Noodles".  I knew it!  Good thing we filled her with mashed potatoes and cheesy gooey ham/chicken.
 
 
 
 
 
Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
 
5 cups chicken breast, diced or shredded
1/2 pound sliced deli-style black forest ham, chopped
1/2 pound sliced swiss cheese
 
Sauce:
4 Tb butter
4 Tb flour
3 C milk
2 Tb lemon juice
1 Tb dijion mustard
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp pepper
 
Topping:
4 Tb melted butter
1 1/4 C seasoned bread crumbs
1/4 C parmesan cheese

 
1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9×13 casserole dish with nonstick spray.  Layer the chicken in the bottom of the dish followed by the ham and finally the swiss cheese.

2.  In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.  Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Slowly add the milk, whisking to keep clumps from forming.  Turn the heat to high and cook until the sauce thickens and boils completely, whisking often.  Remove from the heat and add the remaining sauce ingredients.  Pour the finished sauce over the base layer already in the dish.

3.  In a small bowl, mix together the topping ingredients until the butter is evenly distributed over the crumbs.  Sprinkle over the top of the dish and bake for 45 minutes.  Allow to cool for 10 minute before serving so the sauce will thicken just a bit.



Happy Thursday!  Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment