Sunday, September 15, 2013

Glitter Cup

We are huge football fans.....and we love our Seahawks!  In fact...we have always loved our Hawks....even when they were not so good and now that they are playing well it makes the games even better. 

Set up the big screen...gather friends and put on all of our 12th man gear....we are set.  I had to have a special cup for the games....whether it be water, diet coke or a Green Wave cocktail....I needed it.  I had a bunch of cups left over from last fall.  Sparkly cups with big ribbons were perfect for the gift giving season last year.

These are super easy to make.  The cups came from the dollar store....the Mod Podge and craft sealer can be found at a variety of locations....I picked mine up at Wal-Mart when I got the ribbon.  Try and find ribbon that has wire....it makes it much easier to make those great big full bows.

I raided my boys room for anything I could attach in the center of the bow to represent the Seahawks....I came across this great little helmet and beads that I cut and hooked in with wire.

These really are super fun to make and the possibilities are endless.  There are so many colors of glitter available now....I am sure that you could find a color that would work for your scheme.

1.  Remove the lid from the cup and set a side.

2.  Brush Mod Podge over the entire cup.  Try not to get it up near the area where the lid screws on.

3.  Sprinkle glitter very liberally all over the cup.   Don't worry there is no wrong way to do this.  Be sure to cover your work surface because glitter will be everywhere.  Also this way you can recollect the glitter  to use again.

4.  Allow to dry....at least 30 minutes.

5.  When dry, apply another coat of Mod Podge and sprinkle more glitter on the cup.  This will give the cup a great all over coating of sparkle.  When this coat is dry, apply a thin coat of clear multi-purpose sealer.



6.  I used a thin piece of ribbon (without wire) to wrap around the cup with a small Velcro dot to hold it in place.  It works great so the ribbon can be removed when washing the cup.

7.  Make the bow...attach the bling or extras with a thin piece of wire.  And then hot glue the bow to the thin piece of ribbon.  When glue is dry.....wrap the ribbon around the cup...press the Velcro pieces together and it is ready to use.

There is no worry with the glitter color bleeding when it gets wet.  I have used expensive glitter and also glitter from the dollar store.  Just remember you have to hand wash the cup.


Happy Sunday!  Go Seahawks!

No comments:

Post a Comment