Monday, October 7, 2013

Creamy Wild Rice Soup

While planning my weekly menu I realized that I have made each week since September a soup.  In fact last week we had 2 meals that were what I considered cozy in a bowl.  My family is usually on board at first but by the end of winter they are done with soup.  Kinda like at the end of summer they are done with salads.  I guess I can't blame them but Summer=Salads and Fall/Winter=Soup....just that simple.

The last week or so around here has been consumed with Homecoming planning.  Since I am new to the current High School "trends" I had to learn as I muddled through Tux rental, dinner reservations, pictures....oh my Pictures....what an event that turned out to be.  But my sweet freshman had a wonderful time and his date was the cutest thing.  As stressful as it was, I loved every minute and by the time Jakey gets to High School I will be an old pro.


 
So anyway after this crazy weekend I was ready for an evening of "cozy" at home time with my family.  I found this recipe over at www.bettycrocker.com  a week or so ago and thought what better time to give it a try.  It came together super easy and my family loved it.  In fact next time that I make it I will double the recipe.  I had a couple of upset boys when they went looking for another bowl of this yummy soup. 


I had to convince them to give the almonds a chance.  When the soup is ready to serve, sprinkle toasted almonds over the top....I also crumbled a bit of crispy bacon on the top.  The recipe didn't call for it but I had a few slices left over from breakfast and thought that it might be a tasty addition.  I also added some diced ham to the soup as it was simmering.  I know....I just can't leave well enough alone.

Creamy Wild Rice Soup
 
1/2 cup uncooked wild rice    
1 3/4 ups water       
tablespoons butter or margarine  
medium stalks celery, sliced (1 cup)     
medium carrot, coarsely shredded (1/2 cup)  
medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)   
small green bell pepper, chopped (1/2 cup)      
tablespoons all-purpose flour 
1/2 teaspoon salt    
1/4 teaspoon pepper
can (14 oz) vegetable broth 
cup half-and-half  
1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted                
3-4 pieces of crisp cooked bacon, crumbled
1 cup of diced ham
 
1.  Cook wild rice in 1 1/4 cups of the water as directed on package.
                        
2.  In 3-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add celery, carrot, onion and bell pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until celery is tender. 
                        
3.  Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Stir in wild rice, remaining 1/2 cup water and the broth. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
                          
4  Stir in ham.  Heat just until hot.  Do not boil.
 
5.  Ladle soup into bowls and top with crumbled bacon and toasted almonds.
 
 
               Happy Monday!  Enjoy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment