Saturday, October 12, 2013

Reuben Rolls

Well here I go again trying to change up a classic.  I love trying to make something "always done" into a "wow...what a great idea" and these Reuben Rolls are a perfect example of that.

For those of us who love a great Reuben sandwich....you know that they can be messy.  Not to mention the fact that they are not "Happy Hour" friendly.  It is much easier to have an appetizer size bite when you are talking with friends.  And those who know me well....know that I love talking....some may say that I talk to much.  Hmmm....I wonder where Jakey gets it from.

So these wonderful little delights are my take on a Reuben .....just all rolled up in a wrapper instead of piled between 2 pieces of bread.  For me the only thing missing is the wonderful rye bread flavor.....but the rest of the flavors are all there...so after one bite I kinda forgot about the rye bread.

 
I fried mine but you could easily bake them.  I didn't just because I have never had much success doing it that way and I didn't have the time or ingredients to make more if they came out of the oven less than appealing.
 
 
Add diced corn beef or pastrami, shredded swiss cheese, sauerkraut, 1000 island dressing, finely diced onion, salt and pepper to a large bowl. 
 
 
Place egg roll wrapper on work surface and place a generous amount of filling on to the wrapper.
 
 
Roll wrapper as directed on the package.  It may seem difficult but it really isn't once you get the hang of it.  Be sure to have a small amount of water near by so that you can use your finger to seal the closed edge with a dab of water.
 
When all of the rolls are made fry them in batches.  When you remove them from the oil place onto a layer of paper towels to remove any unwanted oil.  It helps them stay crisp if you are not serving right away and need to keep them warm.
 
Like so many recipes that I do I just kind of eye balled the amounts....nothing exact.  I'm sorry but....really we are just looking for filling....nothing too complicated.
 
 
Reuben Rolls
Corned Beef or Pastrami, diced
shredded swiss cheese
1 1/2 cups sauerkraut, drained
1/3 cup 1000 island dressing, more if needed
3 tbsp. finely diced onion
salt and pepper to taste
1 package egg roll wrappers
 
1.  Heat oil in a pan.
 
2.  While oil is heating combine all the ingredients except the wrappers into a bowl.  Mix well...be sure that everything is well coated with the dressing.
 
3.  Place filling into the wrappers and roll according to package directions. 
 
4.  When all of the wrappers are filled begin frying.  Work in batches....do not overcrowd the pan.
 
5.  Remove from oil and allow to drain excess oil.
 
6.  Best served warm.  Serve with a mixture of 1000 island dressing, sour cream and horseradish.
 
 
Happy Saturday!  Gather Friends Together and Enjoy!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment