Thursday, July 11, 2013

Garlic and Chipotle Chicken

Ever have on of those days that you wish you could do-over?  By 5:00 I had put myself on time-out....completely shut myself off from my kids for nearly an hour.  I just couldn't take it any more....the fighting and arguing.  For my own sanity I had to get away.  I wish I could tell you I was a perfect mom that had perfect children and a perfect life.....but that would only be a fairytale....just a dream that I think we all have.  But truth be told.... I struggle day to day trying to keep everyone happy...I struggle to keep my 14 year old from using his Ipod and Xbox to shut out his family.  I struggle to keep my 9 year old from screaming all the injustice of his day as his runs through the kitchen slamming doors.  I struggle to keep my sanity.  Most days I just smile and  think "tomorrow is a new day"....but not today.

Today, after driving all over 2 counties to find maintenance supplies for the pool I came home and tossed dinner in the crockpot....glad I did because I don't think anyone would have gotten dinner if I hadn't. 

This is one of our favorite crockpot dinners.  I got this recipe from my cousin's wife.  When we have family gatherings she will make this and my husband loves it.  He asked her to share the recipe with me and I would say it is a once a month meal.  It makes plenty to feed a crowd or to have leftovers......the boys love using it for nachos. 

When making this I will heat tortillas....corn and flour.  I like to grill my corn tortillas a bit....gives them a great flavor.  I often serve Spanish rice and refried beans to round out the meal.  Feel free to add sour cream, shredded lettuce, tomato, green onions, taco sauce and even sliced avocado.



Add boneless/skinless chicken thighs into the crockpot.  Top with your favorite salsa, chipotle peppers in adobo sauce and slice garlic cloves.    Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. 

I have to admit....I usually put my chicken in frozen.  It always comes out delish....and defrosting takes time that honestly I don't always have.


Once it is done cooking you should be able to shred the chicken very easily.  Just take two forks and pull the meat apart.  There will be juice/broth....I just use a slotted spoon when I am serving and it will remove most of it from the meat when you are placing it on a tortilla. 

 
Garlic and Chipotle Chicken
 
5-6 chicken thighs, boneless/skinless
1 1/2 cups of your favorite salsa
2 chipotle peppers, sliced
2 tbsp. of the adobo sauce from peppers
6 fresh garlic cloves, thinly sliced
 
1.  Place all the ingredients into a crockpot.  Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high 4 hours.
 
2.  When finished cooking shred chicken.  Allow to cook on low for an additional 30 min after shredding.  This will allow the chicken to become more flavorful.
 
3.. Serve with warm tortillas.
 
*Feel free to adjust the amount of the peppers and sauce to your taste.  As I have said before I tend to keep it not to spicy so the boys can enjoy as well.
 
Happy Thursday My Friends. 
 Remember...as parents we may not always have "Perfect" but we have kids that we adore and in all reality "Perfect" would be boring.


No comments:

Post a Comment