Monday, July 29, 2013

Roasted Corn Salsa

Over the weekend I spent time in my garden admiring what has grown.  For those who know me well...know that I do not have a green thumb.  In fact...I often joke that I have a black thumb. 

When my husband suggested that we plant a garden this  year....I kinda chuckled and thought this should be good. But....what the heck I  gave it a shot.   Jakey and I started all of our plants from seed...with the exception of the tomato, strawberry plants and herbs.  So after four months of watering and weeding we have lots of bounty to harvest.  I have to admit that I am a little proud of the fact that our little seedlings grew and produced veggies.

There are a few things I didn't try and grow.....corn being one of them....mostly because of space.  But I just zip down to our local Farmer's Market and pick up local corn when I need it.  When my husband and I first built our house there was an older gentleman that lived on our road with his wife and late summer he would sell corn from his garden.  He was a very sweet "Grandpa" and we loved stopping to get corn from his.  He passed away some time ago....we still drive by the house and remember the corn that he shared with the neighbors.  But the cilantro and peppers came from our garden.

My husband threw this salsa together for the first time last summer when we were trying to figure out what to do with a bunch of leftover grilled corn.  He looked at the pepper selection and this is what he came up with.  Like many of our recipes...it is more of a process than an exact recipe....so feel free to mix it up a bit and enjoy the summer's harvest.



 
We had corn left over that had been boiled.  Typically we will grill our corn...but the boys really don't care for it that way...so last night it was boiled.  But....not a problem.  Cut it off the cob into a bowl....stand the cob up and run the knife down....all the corn will fall into the bowl.
 

Place a tiny bit of olive oil into a non-stick pan and heat over medium heat.  Sauté the corn until it starts to get a nice color on it.  The sugars in the corn will start to caramelize and make it delish.  Don't worry you will know when it is done.  Remove from heat and allow to cool.

While the corn cools dice the peppers.

Dice the red onion.

Chop the cilantro.

Open a can of black beans....Rinse and Drain well.

Add all the ingredients together....toss to mix well.  Add a tablespoon of lime juice and salt.  Toss again.

Roasted Corn Salsa
 
1/2 of a large red bell pepper, diced
1/2 of a red onion, diced
2 jalapeno peppers, diced
3 ears of corn, roasted/grilled
handful of chopped cilantro
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 tbsp. lime juice
salt to taste
 
1.  Add all of the ingredients together in a large bowl.   Toss together...combine well.
 
 
 
Serve with your favorite tortilla chip....and enjoy!
 
Happy Monday My Friends!





No comments:

Post a Comment