Thursday, July 4, 2013

Dip, Tapenade, Salsa Oh My!

Happy 4th of July!  It has been gorgeous here in the PNW all week....today...a little overcast and  cooler.  I am not really complaining because typical weather for this holiday is drizzle/rain and cool.  I can remember all to well wearing jackets and even having blankets as we positioned ourselves to watch a fireworks show.  So today with temps in the high 70's....I think it will be just about perfect.

Family, friends, food and fireworks....that is what it is all about right?  At least for us it is.  We are off to spend the day with a group of great friends.  Naturally, the bbq will be busy cooking burgers and hot dogs.  Plenty of salads will be served along with a platter of fresh fruit.  When I thought about what else to take along my mind instantly went to dips and salsa.  For years my husband has been making pineapple salsa.....oh it is so yummy and a black olive tapenade that is this wonderful combination of olives, garlic and Parmesan cheese.  I had those two at the top of my list but wanted one more to round it out....something creamy and delish.

For those of you that have ever had dill pickle dip....you know that it is oddly delicious.  Kinda tangy...yet creamy....just odd....but yummy.  Since we were having burgers....what goes on a  burger... great dill pickles.  So I decided last minute that I was going to add this to the menu....and I had already been to Walmart and Safeway and I really didn't want to go again.  When I looked in my pantry....no dills!  Have I mentioned Jakey loves him some dill pickles.  But...I did have pickled asparagus.  Not the same veg...but the same idea....so I decided to give it a try.  When I pickle my asparagus I add whole garlic cloves and jalapeno slices....so I thought chopping those as well would add great flavor. 

These 3 recipes are super easy....very fast and usually inexpensive to make.  The salsa and tapenade are always my husbands "Go To" when we need something quickly.

Pineapple Salsa
 
2 cans pineapple tidbits, drained
1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
1-2 habenaro peppers, diced and seeded
2 tsp  rice wine vinegar
sugar to taste if needed
 
1.  Drain pineapple and place in a large bowl.
 
2.  Chop cilantro and peppers.  Add to pineapple.
 
3.  Drizzle vinegar over fruit mixture and toss to mix well.
 
4.  Add sugar if too tart/tangy.  Toss again to mix in sugar.  Refrigerate until ready to serve
 
* Feel free to use any type of pepper.  Jalapeno works well...and is not as spicy.  Can also use just red bell pepper...adds great color without the heat.
 
 
 
Black Olive Tapenade
 
3 cans large black olives, drained
1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
4 tbsp. minced garlic
olive oil if needed
 
 
1.  Place drained olives, cheese and garlic into a food processor.
 
2.  Pulse until all ingredients are well combined.  Then continue chopping until olives are a fine consistency.
 
3.. Drizzle in a bit of olive oil....it helps it all stick together.  Makes it easier to hold on a cracker.
 
4.  Can serve immediately or cover and place in refrigerator.  Let set out at room temp for 15 minutes or so before you serve.
 
 
 
 
Dilly Asparagus Dip
 
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 cup chopped pickled asparagus
1/4 cup finely diced sweet onion
salt and pepper to taste
 
1.  Finely chop asparagus and onion.
 
2.  Add to room temp cream cheese.  Mix will until well combined.
 
3.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Before adding salt be sure to taste it first....the pickled veg adds a lot of salt.
 
4.  Cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
 
*  Feel free to add pickled jalapeno as well....adds a nice flavor without a lot of heat.
 

 
 
Happy Independence Day My Friends!  Not matter how you choose to celebrate....Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment