Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Hot Pepper Jelly

Ten years ago if someone would have asked me if I canned.....I would have looked at them like they were nuts.  I spent plenty of time watching my mom can when I was young. It is way to complicated and much too time consuming.....or so I thought.  And honestly....it seemed a bit overwhelming.  So many rules....processing times....ugh....kinda scary.  But then a dear friend introduced me to pickling.  He taught me how to pickle asparagus.  I have spent a day or two each spring pickling asparagus since then. 

Last year I had so many hot peppers from my garden that I didn't know what to do with all of them.  I ended up dehydrating them and making pepper flakes.  But I was on a mission to find an easy peasy pepper jelly recipe.  Because let's face it canning still makes me a little nervous and uncomfortable.  I needed a fool-proof method.....a process that anyone could master.

I found this on www.averiecooks.com and after reading her blog I realized that she had some anxiety concerning canning as well.  So....I pulled up my big girl pants and gave it a shot.  I am so glad I did....it turned out great.....very yummy and I can't wait to change up the peppers and adjust the heat just a bit.  Remember we like things pretty spicy.


I have added it to sweet and sour sauce to give it a bit of a kick when served with egg rolls.  But of course my favorite way is on a dab of cream cheese on a cracker.  Makes a great mid day snack.


Hot Pepper Jelly
1 3/4 cup diced red peppers, remove seeds if you want
1 1/2 cup diced green peppers, remove seeds if you want
3/4 cup jalapeno peppers, diced seeds removed
1 cup apple cider vinegar
Two 1.75 boxes of Sure-Jell pectin
(get the pink boxes - less or no sugar)
5 cups white sugar
 

1.  Prepare the glass jars by sterilizing them.  Do this by washing jars and bands in hot soapy water; rinse with warm water. Pour boiling water over flat lids in saucepan off the heat. Let jars stand in hot water until ready to use. Drain well before filling.

2.  Fill a very large stockpot with water and allow it to nearly boil on the stove top.  This may take 30 minutes given the size of the pot and amount of water, and while waiting, complete the rest of the steps.

3.  Put on a pair of rubber kitchen gloves and finely chop the peppers by hand (or pulse using a food processor) and add them to a medium-sized 6 to 8-quart stock pot, taking care to avoid adding the seeds of the pepper to the mixture, being especially cautious with the jalapeno pepper seeds (I sliced each jalapeno in half, down the middle, and removed 80% of the seeds by hand, before finely chopping them).

4.  To the peppers, add the vinegar and Sure-Jell pectin (two packets). Place stockpot on the stove top and bring to a full rolling boil (a boil that doesn’t stop bubbling when stirred) and stir constantly. After a full rolling boil is reached, add the sugar. It will foam and bubble up, and if foam is intense, skim it off with a spoon. Return to a full rolling boil and once full rolling boil is reached (it may take a minute or two to reach it) boil for exactly 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove pan from heat.






Quickly ladle jelly into the sterile jars, filling to within 1/4 inch of the tops. Cover with flat lids, and screw on bands tightly. Place the jars loosely into the nearly boiling water using tongs or carefully using two spatulas guiding them into the water (or if you have a canning rack, use it and slowly lower jars into pot). The water should cover the jars completely, and should be hot but not boiling when place the jars in. Bring water to a boil, and after it’s boiling, process for 10 to 12 minutes.


After processing, remove jars and place upright on towel to cool completely, and do not disturb them. Choose their resting place wisely, because where ever they are placed, they need to remain undisturbed and untouched until they seal. You may begin to hear loud pops immediately, or within 24 hours and that means the jar has sealed. If you are uncertain if they’ve sealed, after the jars cool, check seals by pressing middle of lid with finger. If the lid is sunken and does not spring back, it’s sealed (success!) If lid springs back, jar is not sealed and refrigeration is necessary. I prefer my pepper jelly chilled and store it in the refrigerator. Unsealed or opened pepper jelly will likely keep for weeks in the refrigerator; and sealed jars of jelly will keep for one year or longer, if stored in a cool, dry place.

 
Happy Wednesday!  Try something new this week....even if you are nervous.  What is the worst thing that could happen?

No comments:

Post a Comment