Thursday, June 13, 2013

S'mores Bars

The last day of school has finally arrived!  I know the boys were ready for the year to end....but I have to admit that this year so was I.  In fact, sadly I feel like I checked out weeks ago.  It is really funny how back in the fall....the boys had perfect lunches....perfect breakfast....homework was always checked and daily schedules signed and then spring came.  Maybe I had a really bad case of spring fever but by the time we turned the calendar to May I was asking my teenager if he wanted to buy his lunch just so I could get out of making yet another sandwich.  Does that make me a bad mom?  Nah...I think it makes me a really great mom that just got burned out on the "what kind of sandwich" rotation and I can admit it.

We attended 8th grade graduation yesterday for Matt.  I am so proud of the great person he has become.  He was recognized for his academic achievements over the 3 years and for being and outstanding leader within the school.  Way to go!  I am such a proud mom....of both my boys.  Jakey sailed through 3rd grade but of course I don't have a picture of him since he won't stand still long enough for me to take it.

So of course today I had to have a special lunch for them when they got home from school.  Pizza, fruit, soda and of course S'mores Bars.  My kids love s'mores but lets face it they are a pain in the behind.  I used to make indoor s'mores all the time for my daycare kids.  Microwave the marshmallows....not too long...yikes what a mess.  So when I came across this recipe for them in a bar form I was so excited.  They were super easy and very yummy.  This would be the perfect treat to take to your next neighborhood block party or summer BBQ....make a double batch....they will disappear fast.

A big thanks to sugarcooking.blogspot.com...my kids loved them.


First beat together butter, sugar and brown sugar until creamy. 

Then add an egg and vanilla.  Mix until well combined.


Whisk together graham cracker crumbs, flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.



Add flour mixture into creamed butter/sugar.  Mixing until well combined and dough forms a ball.

 
Divide dough in half.  Press half of the dough into a 8" square baking dish that has been sprayed with non stick cooking spray.
 
 
Lay the king sized Hershey bars onto the dough.  They will fit nearly perfectly.
 


 
Spray a rubber spatula with non stick cooking spray and spread marshmallow fluff over the chocolate bars.  Spraying the spatula isn't essential however it will make spreading the white sticky goodness a whole lot easier.
 
Press the remaining dough onto the top of the fluff.  I pressed my dough on in pieces.....3 to be exact.  It just seemed easier to me to work with a smaller amount but really do what ever works for you.  Remember....no rules....just yummy goodness.
 
Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until the top is golden brown.  Allow to cool a bit before trying to cut them.....the chocolate will be very oozy....yep it's a word...or at least in my kitchen it is.  I also found that about 20 seconds in the microwave with give it just the right gooeyness if it is cooled too much. 
 
 
 
S'mores Bars
 
1/2 cup butter, room temp
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/3 cup flour
3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 king size Hershey Chocolate Bars
1 7 oz container of marshmallow creme
 
1.  Beat together the butter, sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
 
2.  Add egg and vanilla.  Mix until well combined.
 
3.  Whisk together graham cracker crumbs, flour, baking powder and salt.
 
4.  Add the flour mixture into the butter/sugar.  Continue mixing until dough forms a ball.
 
5.  Divide dough in half.  Press half of the dough into a 8 inch baking dish that has been sprayed with non stick cooking spray.
 
6.  Lay the chocolate bars onto the dough.
 
7.  Spread the marshmallow creme over the chocolate bars.
 
8.  Press the remaining dough onto the top of the marshmallow creme.  Making sure that the top dough is as close to the edge as possible covering the creme.
 
9.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes of until golden brown.
 
10  Remove from oven and allow to cool before cutting.
 
 
Happy Thursday My Friends! 
Remember to take time to let you children know just how proud you are of them.


No comments:

Post a Comment