Saturday, June 1, 2013

Cajun Cornbread Shrimp Bites

Yeah!  June is finally here!  Time for last minute BBQs and outdoor happy hours....plenty of time to spend with friends and family.   I have to admit I love entertaining and gathering with our friends....even the spur of the moment invites.....and yesterday was one of those days.  I had been gone for the better part of the day.....I like to call them "Momma's Therapy" days.  Really...it doesn't amount to more than shopping, a manicure, Starbucks, or even lunch with a girlfriend......but oh how I love my therapy days.  But when I got home I needed to come up with a quick and yummy appetizer to take to an impromptu Happy Hour. 

I had come across a recipe for these little muffins months ago and thought that they looked good.  Since I was limited on time though I did use a package of  corn bread mix instead of making it from scratch.  They were super simple and took no time at all to whip up...in fact the most time consuming part was peeling the shrimp.

The cornbread bites were very delish....they do look a bit "rustic" though.  (and by rustic....I mean not too great to look at!)  I think maybe a smaller shrimp may have worked better in the mini muffin pan....but I used what I had.  And really....the plate emptied so fast I am not sure that anyone really took the time to notice the imperfections.


Since I used a cornbread mix there really is no recipe for this.  Prepare cornbread per instructions on the package.   Peel and devein 24 - 30 shrimp, rinse, pat dry and season with Cajun seasoning.

Spray a mini muffin pan with non stick cooking spray and fill each slot 3/4 of the way with cornbread batter and place a seasoned shrimp on the top.  Bake at 375 for 12 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean..  Allow to cool on rack.

I made a roasted red pepper aioli to go with them.  Again....I used jar peppers instead of roasting my own.  But toss 2 peppers in a food processor with a cup'ish of mayo, a splash of lemon juice and a squirt or two....or 6 or siracha pepper sauce.

My husband and I decided that the aioli would be great with fish tacos.....hmmmm.....good thing I have a freezer full of fresh halibut.

Enjoy your time with friends....and remember "rustic" can be delish too!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment