Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Bow Tie Pasta with Sausage and Spinach

When I think of summer dishes creamy pasta is not at the top of that list.  However, with the gloomy wet weather we have been having the last week or so it is easy to fall back into comfort food mode.    I began to think soup or pasta....really....soup in June....nope....so it had to be pasta. 

Spaghetti and meatballs were out.....not Matt's fave and we just had that dish at Jacob's request a week ago.  No shellfish....Jacob's not a fan....ugh....now what.  So before heading into Safeway....my home away from home.....I looked for a great pasta dish that would please everyone.  I had half the battle won already because I had tossed together a batch of bread dough the night before....and I may have mentioned how much my family loves that bread.  (posted earlier this year.)

So when I came upon this recipe  over at www.foodista.com I thought....this will work.  I did make a few changes...but that is the best part about cooking.....make it your own.

It was a very easy recipe and the family loved it.  In fact they loved it so much....they dug in before I had time to get a pic of the full serving bowl.  I left the kitchen for  minutes and before I knew it they were filling their plates with pasta and bread.  I guess the wonderful smell of garlic was more than they could handle.


Bow Tie Pasta with Sausage and Spinach
12 oz bow tie pasta
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 lb Italian sausage
3 cloves of garlic, minced
4 cups fresh baby spinach
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 cup light sour cream
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cups Parmesan/Italian blend cheese
salt and pepper to taste
 
1.  Boil pasta according to package
 
2.  Meanwhile heat oil in a large skillet.  Add garlic and sauté for several minutes.  Stir to make sure the garlic does not burn.
 
3.  Add the sausage to skillet.  Break the meat up and cook completely until no longer pink.
 
4.  Add the spinach and sauté for an additional minute or so....just until wilted.
 
5.  Remove sausage/spinach mixture from pan.
 
6.  In the same skillet that the meat was cooked add the chicken broth....as it is heating scrape any browned pieces from the bottom.
 
7.  Add the sour cream and milk to the heating broth.  Stir until well combined.  Do not boil.
 
8.  Add the cheese stirring until melted and creamy.  Add the spinach/sausage mixture back into the sauce.  Stir to coat.
 
9.  Add drained pasta to skillet tossing gently.
 
10.  Place pasta/sauce mixture into a serving bowl.  Sprinkle with additional cheese if desired.
 
 
Happy Tuesday!  Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment