Saturday, June 15, 2013

Frozen Strawberry Lemonade

One week til it is officially Summer!  The kids are out of school and the sun is finally out....well kind of.  I think that a summer time cocktail is in order.

A couple of years ago when McDonalds came out with their frozen strawberry lemonades Matt and I quickly fell in love with the yummy sweet and tart treat.  I will be the first to admit that I spent way to much money there the first month they had been introduced.  Due to my guilt of spending too much money  I started brainstorming on how to make an at home version.  When making these you could totally use a blender....but since I was hosting bunco I needed a lot and didn't want to try and blend all through the evening.

  I remember when I was young my mom used to mix up frozen daiquiris but she would combine all the ingredients into a container and just place it in the freezer for a couple of days....and then when she was ready she would pull the container out and scoop some into her glass.

So that had to be the solution.....mix and freeze!  The first time I made them....they had a bit too much vodka but I easily fixed that by adding a bit of Sprite to the top before I added the strawberry puree.  As with many of my recipes....it is more of the process rather that exact amounts.  Feel free to adjust the amounts to your taste.

When I make this I usually use 3 cans of frozen lemonade concentrate....brand doesn't really matter.  I buy what is on sale.  Empty the cans into a very large freezable container that has a lid.  Each can calls for 4 cans of liquid so I will typically use 2 cans of water and 2 cans of vodka.  So lets see if my math is correct 3 cans of concentrate 6 cans of water and 6 cans of vodka.  Again....adjust to your taste.  If you are making it for the kids just use all water and freeze.....works just as well and they love them.

So once you have all the liquids in your container place the lid on it and freeze.....freeze time will vary by how big of a batch you make.  This size takes a couple of days.

For the strawberry puree.....wash and slice the berries.  Place them in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.  I try and blend til most of the seeds are gone.  Add sugar if your berries are too tart.  Remember that you need a bit of sweetness to go with the tart of the lemonade.  I have also added strawberry syrup to mine.  The type of syrup that they use in Italian Sodas....adds great color and the added sweetness that is needed. 

When you are ready to serve.....remove container from freezer and scoop the lemonade into a glass.  Top with the strawberry puree and garnish with a fresh strawberry.  If the mixture is too frozen add a splash or two of Sprite before you add the strawberry puree....it is delish and makes it easier to drink.

Frozen Strawberry Lemonade
 
3 cans of lemonade concentrate
1/2 gallon of vodka
3 pints of fresh strawberries
sugar to taste
 
sprite, optional
 
 
 
Happy Saturday My Friends!  Cheers to the Summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment