Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Toasted Coconut Pound Cake

I may have mentioned before that I can not resist chocolate and peanut butter....but I may have neglected to mention that I also love toasted coconut!  I think the smell of it toasting is just as yummy as the flavor....it is one of those scents that fill your home with "cozy" and bring back memories that make you smile.  So when I came across this lil treat I knew I was going to have to give it a try.  Thanks to the folks over at littlebitsof.com for sharing.

It was very easy to mix up...the one thing that I noticed though was that it is more like a bread texture.  It seemed to be a bit dense...sometimes my banana bread will turn out that way.  I am sure it is just me and has nothing to do with the recipe.  If you are a coconut fan....this is a definite must try.


As some of you know....sometimes I don't measure...I just eyeball it.  And as you can see....I should have measure the buttermilk for the glaze.  I may have gotten a bit more than the 2tbsp that the recipe calls for.  I know...just measure!  I drive my husband crazy with this too.



Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add the vanilla and eggs...one at a time.  Be sure to scrape down the sides if you need to.  Add flour and buttermilk...alternating between the two.  (a third of the flour, 1/2 of the milk and so on until all is added)  Beat until well combined.


Fold in 1 1/4 cups toasted coconut.



Butter and flour a loaf pan.  Pour cake batter into pan and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until toothpick comes out clean.

When done baking remove from oven and place on rack to cool completely.


Drizzle glaze over the cake and sprinkle with the remaining coconut.  Slice and serve.



Toasted Coconut Pound Cake
 


1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temp
2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1tsp vanilla
3 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
 
1 cup confectioner's sugar
2 tbsp. buttermilk
 
 
1.  Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
 
2.  Blend together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add vanilla and eggs, one at a time. 
 
3.  Add flour and buttermilk to the butter mixture.  Add a 1/3 of the flour followed by 1/2 of the milk.  Repeat until all the ingredients have been added.  Beat until well combined.
 
4.  Butter and flour a loaf pan.  Add the cake batter to prepared loaf pan.
 
5.  Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean.
 
6.  Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
 
7.  Once it is cool combine 1 cup of confectioner's sugar and 2 tbsp of buttermilk.  Whisk until well combined and then drizzle over cooled cake.
 
8.  Sprinkle the remaining coconut on top of the drizzled cake.
 
9.  Slice and serve.
 
 
I wish I had a picture of the cake sliced.  But truth be told it was on a Saturday evening and once it was sliced it was gone.  Matt was a huge fan...as was Papa and Grandma.  In fact Papa said that the only thing that would have made it better would have been a cup of coffee and another slice.  That's my dad!
 
 
Happy Wednesday my Friends!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment