Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Shrimp Spring Rolls

I am so excited!  I may have mentioned that we planted a garden this year for the first time in what seems like forever.  We have always had a huge problems with our garden....either it never got enough water or every little woodland critter within 5 miles came for their daily meals.  Don't get me wrong....I love my little critter friends but seeing the rabbits and deer eating all my veggies didn't make me super happy.  But this year I have the fenced in space that used to be the daycare play yard and so far other than the robin eating my strawberries I have been critter free. 

Anyone who knows me...knows that I have 2 black thumbs.  I have a hard time growing anything....I think it is because I get bored and forget to water them.  I know that sounds absolutely awful....but it is the truth. 

I am hoping that this garden will be different.  So far my lettuce has been growing like crazy and I have been providing friends and neighbors with a bounty of leaf lettuce. So today as I was out pulling a few weeds I was admiring all the plants thinking how this summer I will have all the veggies we need for every salad I could imagine. 

With veggies on my mind I began craving spring rolls.  Super easy dinner that everyone loves....even Jakey as long as I leave a few that have no shrimp.  The beautiful thing about spring rolls is that you can totally customize them to suit the taste of everyone.  Jakey doesn't care for shrimp, Matt doesn't like the cilantro but hey....not a problem!
 
 
So with many of my recipes this is the process not so much the ingredients.  There are no rules....as long as you soak the wrappers and wrap well enough to hold in on the yummy goodness all is good.  You got this....no worries.
 
 

First thing you need to do is prepare your noodles.  These were Dynasty rice stick noodles....but I have used thin spaghetti noodles in a pinch.  Find your favorite and use them.
 
Then prepare your veggies.  Any combination will work....but I typically use thinly slice carrots, shredded cabbage, green onions, bean sprouts and cilantro.  Feel free to use diced chicken, bbq pork or peeled and deveined shrimp.....or even leave it meat free.
 
These are the wrappers that I use....I am sure that there are other brands....but this is what my local grocery store carries.  Fill a large bowl with warm to hot water....when you are ready to wrap place one of the wrappers into the bowl and soak until it becomes pliable.
 
Lay the pliable wrapper down and lay in the veggies and shrimp.  When you are ready to wrap...fold in the sides and then begin to roll.  Don't worry there are instructions on the spring roll wrapper package.  They may not look perfect....but really who cares....they will taste just as yummy.
 
When I serve mine I typically have a Thai peanut sauce.  I have made my own....but I also love House of Tsang brand.  They have a great Bangkok Padang Peanut Sauce.  It is a bit thick so I will thin it with a bit of chicken broth.  It makes a great dipping sauce for the rolls.
 
 
Shrimp Spring Rolls
 
cabbage
carrots
bean sprouts
cilantro
shrimp
carrots
spring roll wrappers
 
 
Happy Tuesday My Friends!   Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment