Thursday, June 6, 2013

Thai Curry Chicken Meatballs

When it comes to trying new foods/recipes my family is really pretty good about it. Sometimes it does take a bit of convincing for them to take that first bite....especially Jacob. I am a firm believer in the "2 bite" rule. He is not allowed to tell me he doesn't like something unless he has given it a fair chance with 2 bites.  Maybe it goes back to all the years I did daycare....but I always had kids trying new foods...and most of the time they really like it.  If all else fails give it a fun name and they will always try it.

Way back when my husband and I were first married I tried making a curry dish....ugh!  We lived in a very small apartment and it smelled for weeks.  Curry meatballs with a curried rice....lets just say we ate out that night.  After that I have always been a bit hesitant to cook with curry.  We love eating curry.....anywhere but at home.  So when I came across this recipe I put on my big girl pants and decided I would once again give curry a try....after all it has been nearly 22 years.

Let me be the first to say that it was delish!  The house smelled incredible....in a good way.  It is definitely a dish I would make again.






Combine ground chicken, curry paste, panko bread crumbs, cilantro, fish sauce, soy sauce and salt together.  Form meat mixture into balls and brown in a large skillet.


When meatballs are browned remove from pan and set aside.

Next, sauté 1/4 of an onion in the same pan with curry paste and garlic.  Add coconut milk, chicken broth, fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar, red chili slices and simmer for 10 min.  Add meatballs back into sauce add thin fresh green beans and baby corn.  Continue simmering until veggies are tender.  ( I wish I had a picture for you but I was breaking up an argument between my darling children and forgot....sorry.)



 
Serve over steamed Jasmine rice.  Be sure to ladle a bit of the sauce over the top...it was super yummy and soaked up in the rice.
 
 
Thai Curry Chicken Meatballs
 
18 oz of ground chicken
1 tsp red curry paste
2 oz panko bread crumbs
3 tbsp. fresh chopped cilantro
1 tbsp. fish sauce
1 tbsp. soy sauce
 
 
1/4 sweet onion chopped
2 tsp red curry paste
2 garlic cloves crushed
1 can coconut milk
1 can chicken broth
2 tbsp. fish sauce
2 tbsp. soy sauce
2 tsp sugar
1 red chili pepper, thinly sliced
green beans, small thin
1 can baby corn
 
 
1.  For the meatballs combine chicken, curry paste, bread crumbs, cilantro, fish sauce and soy sauce until well combined and form meat into balls.
 
2.  In a large skillet add just enough oil to coat the bottom.  Add meatballs and brown on all sides until cooked through.
 
3.  Remove meatballs from skillet and set aside.
 
4.  In the same pan add the chopped onion and curry paste.  Saute until the curry paste begins to stick to the bottom of the pan.  Add the crushed garlic and cook another minute. 
 
5.  Add the coconut milk and chicken broth.  Stir well to combine.  Add fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar and sliced chili.  Allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
 
6.  Add the meatballs back in the sauce mixture and simmer another 10 minutes.
 
7.  Add in the green beans and corn.  Bring back to a simmer...cook another 5-7 minutes or until veggies are tender.
 
8.  Serve over steamed jasmine rice.
 
 
Happy Thursday! 
Remember....try something new...you may enjoy it!


No comments:

Post a Comment