Thursday, January 17, 2013

Cake Batter Buddies

I was beginning to feel guilty (which I do often) when I realized that I hadn't made my kids a fun snack this week.  Between colds, school projects and doctor appointments I didn't really think about it.  Hopefully, this will get me back in the running for "Mom of the Year". 


Since both boys love Mud Buddies and the Cinnamon Churo Buddies I figured I was pretty safe making Cake Batter Buddies.  The fact that I had everything in my pantry already also helped in the decision.....I follow the "use what you got" rule.....well most of the time.

Toss the rice chex with the melted chocolate and mix in the sprinkles.  Now I thought I had a better selection of sprinkles and jimmies but it was pretty limited.  If you want your sprinkles to really stand out use ones that are larger.  But I honestly don't think that my two hoovers will even stop to notice.


Once the cereal is coated place them in a large ziplock bag that has powdered sugar and the dry cake mix.  There really is no right way to get them covered....just shake and shake and shake.  Be sure you close the top before you start your shaking though.


Once the cereal is all coated....I like to lay it all out on wax paper til the chocolate is completely set.  The white chips I used set fast so it really wasn't necessary but I have had chocolate chips take a bit longer.

.I probably should have made a double batch because I am pretty sure these will not see the end of the weekend. 


Cake Batter Buddies
 
5 cups of Rice Chex
12 oz bag of white chocolate chips
1 cup of yellow cake mix
2/3 cup powdered sugar
sprinkles or jimmies
 
 
1.  Place cereal in a large bowl.
2.  Melt chips.  I always melt mine in the microwave.  I set them in for 30 seconds at a time stirring after each 30 seconds until completely melted.  It usually only takes 2 minutes total.
3.  Pour the melted chocolate over the cereal stirring to coat all very well.   Pour sprinkles over chocolate and toss before the coating begins to set too much.
4.  Mix the sugar and cake mix in a large Ziplock bag.  Once well combined add in the coated cereal.  Close bag and shake to coat all cereal well.
5.  Spread the coated cereal onto a piece of wax paper.  Once set store in air tight container.
 
 
Happy Thursday!


1 comment: