Monday, January 14, 2013

P.F. Chang's Mongolian Beef

I have to admit that I love Pinterest!  Once the boys have left for school and breakfast dishes are done I get a cup of coffee and I begin pinning.  I limit myself to one cup because somehow that makes it easier to justify sitting for 30 minutes at the computer.  I have found the best recipes during that 30 minutes and a few I made great once I made a few changes.  Last week I found a copy cat recipe for P.F. Chang's Mongolian beef  that looked yummy. 

So after watching the Seahawks heartbreaking loss I decided this was just what we needed to lift spirits.  For me the biggest test for a new recipe is making something that everyone likes.  This one got 3 thumbs up and clean plates...so I have to give a big Thank You to ohsodelicioso.com for sharing.


 
 
 
P.F. Chang's Mongolian Beef
 
  • 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon ginger, minced
  • 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce
  • 1/2 cup water
  • vegetable oil, for frying (about 1 cup)
  • 1 lb flank steak
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 2 large green onions
  •  
     
    1.  Heat 2 tsp oil in a saucepan.  Add ginger and garlic being careful not to burn the garlic.
     
    2.  Add soy sauce and water bringing to a boil.
     
    3.  Add in brown sugar, stirring to dissolve.  Continue boiling 2-3 minutes as sauce thickens a bit.
     
    4.  Remove from heat and set aside.
     
    5.  Slice the steak against the grain into 1/4" thick bite sized pieces, tipping the knife at a 45 degree angle so that you will get a wider cut.
     
    6.  Dust the steak slices with cornstarch and set aside for 10 minutes so the cornstarch has time to stick to the meat.
     
    7.  While meat is resting heat oil in a wok or pan.  Just make sure that the meat is covered with oil.
     
    8.  Add steak slices to the hot oil cooking for only a minute.  Don't worry about not cooking long enough the meat will be given a few more minutes in a hot pan later.
     
    9.  Remove meat from oil and place on paper towels.  Remove oil from pan.
     
    10. Add steak slices back to the hot pan and saute for 2 minutes and then add sauce over meat.  Cook another minute stirring to coat meat completely.
     
    11.  Garnish sliced green onions.
     
     
    I served it with steamed white rice and broccoli.  Actually, I sauteed my broccoli with the meat and then added the sauce to the pan.  It gave the veggie more of a stir fry flavor.
     
     
    Happy Monday and Enjoy!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment