Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Crusty Bread

Making bread has never been something I have enjoyed or have ever been good at.  Maybe it is the many steps and time involved that turns me away or the fact that I never have been able to get my dough to rise..but either way I have finally found the answer to all my complaints.  So before I can go any further I have to give credit to www.simplysogood.com for sharing this recipe.  You have saved me so much time and stress.  Not to mention the fact my family thinks that I work some sort of magic to create this wonderful bread.

When I tell you this is the easiest and most forgiving bread recipe ever...you have to believe me.  You could go to your local bakery and buy a loaf of fresh bread but even that takes more effort than this.  I have shared this recipe with my sister, who I adore but sometimes her culinary skills are a bit challenged.  She made this for her family and it turned out perfect!  So...it's January...aren't you ready for a nice pot of soup to cozy up to?  What goes better with soup....fresh crusty bread! 



So, if I still haven't convinced you that it is the easiest thing ever....let me show you.

Place flour in a large bowl.  Add salt and yeast.


Whisk together til incorporated well.

Add water and mix til combined.  The water does not have to be a special temp.  I just wait for the hot water to become barely warm out of the faucet.  Dough will be sticky and look "shaggy"...that's ok! Don't worry!

At this point cover your bowl with plastic wrap and push it aside for 12 to 18 hrs.  Yes....I said 12-18 hrs!  Do not refrigerate....DO NOTHING!

I usually make my dough before bed....say 9ish and bake mine by noon the next day.  But when you are ready to bake this is what you will have.

Now this may be the only challenging part for you.....the only trick to baking this is that you have to have something that can withstand a baking temp of 450 degrees and it has to have a lid.  The original recipe suggests to use a enameled cast iron pot however, I don't have one so I improvised and decided that my Pampered Chef deep dish baker and the large bowl would work just fine.  And it does.  So...be creative....there has to be something that will work for you.

Preheat your oven to 450 and place your baking pan in the oven to heat up also.  While the oven is heating place your dough on a floured surface forming into a ball and allow to stand til the oven is up to temp.

When the oven is ready place dough in pan, cover and bake for 30 minutes.  Please remember that your pans are screaming hot....I say this only because I have burned my hands more times that I like to admit.  At the end of 30 minutes, remove the lid and continue baking for  15 minutes.

Place on a wire rack to cool.

See....easy peasy!  You gotta give it a try...you won't be sorry.


Crusty Bread
 
3 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water
 
1.  Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.  Whisk together to make sure it is mixed well.
2.  Add water and stir combining well.
3.  Cover with plastic wrap and allow to sit 12 to 18 hrs on counter top.
4.  When ready to bake Preheat oven to 450 and place baking pan in oven to heat as well.
5.  While oven is heating place dough on well floured surface and form into a ball and allow to rest until oven comes to temp.
6.  Bake bread covered for 30 minutes, then remove lid and bake another 15 minutes uncovered.
7.  Cool on rack.
 
 
Like I said this is the ONLY bread that I ever make....it turns out perfect every time!  You will not be disappointed. 
 
Happy Tuesday!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment