Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Blackberry Cobbler

One of my favorite things about summer is fresh berries.  I remember as a little girl picking blackberries and huckleberries right behind our house.  My grandma would make blackberry pies...my mom would make jam....it was a summer time treat.  Now as a mom I get to share that summer treat with my boys. 

Over the weekend we were enjoying a summer bbq with friends and we were served the most delicious blackberry cobbler.  After we all raved about it my dear friend tells us it is a Pioneer Woman recipe and it was super easy.  Well...you know me....the minute I got home I got on the laptop and went straight to her blog.  (which of course I have on my favorites!)  www.thepioneerwoman.com  for those of you who are not yet fans....take a peek...you will not be disappointed.

So off to the berry bushes my husband went....picking 2 cups of beautiful juicy blackberries.  It helps that we live on 7 acres and finding berries isn't  too difficult.  My friend was right....the recipe was super easy and I had this yummy dessert in the oven in 10 minutes.



My husband thought that vanilla ice cream would have made it perfect.....but we only had whip cream.....which seemed to be just as yummy because they ate it all.


Whisk together the flour and sugar in a bowl. 

Whisk in the milk until well combined.  And then add the melted butter.  Combine well.

Pour batter into a buttered baking dish.  Pour batter into baking dish.  Sprinkle the berries over the batter.  Sprinkle remaining sugar over the top of the berries.  Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

Remove from oven and allow to cool.  It is super delish if served with whip cream or ice cream when the cobbler is still a little warm.

Blackberry Cobbler
 
1 stick of butter, melted
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1 cup of milk
2 cups of blackberries
 
1.  Whisk together 1 cup sugar and 1 cup flour.
 
2.  Whisk in 1 cup of milk.
 
3.  Melt butter and add to milk/flour mixture.  Whisking until well combined.
 
4.  Pour batter into a well buttered baking dish.  I used an 8x8...but could have used slightly larger.
 
5.  Wash and pat the berries dry.  Sprinkle them over the cake batter evenly.
 
6.  Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar over the top.
 
7.  Place in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour.  Bake until golden brown. 
 
8.  Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before cutting.
 
* I baked this in an 8x8 baking dish and my baking time was nearly and hour and 15 minutes.  You will know when it is finished....just insert a toothpick into the center and when it comes out clean the cake is done.
 
Happy Tuesday!  Remember....your childhood memories are always worth sharing with your children.  
 


No comments:

Post a Comment