Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Razor Clam Fritters

It is possible that I have never mentioned that I love seafood.  I guess growing up in the Pacific Northwest only an hour from the Pacific Ocean could have something to do with it....but what ever the reason....I am a huge fan.  Actually, my husband and older son have the same passion that I do.  However, my younger son does not feel the same.  I will say though, that he will eat halibut.  And by eat I mean take a bite....and say...."that's not too bad". 

My husband loves to go digging for razor clams....me...not so much.  We have an agreement though....he digs....and I clean.  Some may say that I have the yucky job....but at least I am warm and dry.

Anyway...I am sure that many of you can just buy razor clams at your favorite seafood market and not have to dig for them.  But regardless of how you get them...if you enjoy shellfish you have to give these a try.  And for those of you who aren't sure.....try them....they are delish.

The key to these little treats are getting the clams chopped (in your food processor) to small pieces.  And then frying them to get the golden crust on the outside.


Razor Clam Fritter
 
1 to 1 1/2 pounds razor clams, cleaned
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup -3/4 cup crushed butter crackers
salt and pepper
2 tbsp. butter
 
1.  Place the cleaned clams into a food processor and chop into a small chunk consistency.
 
2.  Place clam meat into a large bowl.
 
3.  Add the egg and crackers.  Using your hands mix well.  The mixture should hold together but still be moist.  Start with 1/2 cup of crackers and add more if needed.
 
4.  Add salt and pepper.
 
5.  Form patties out of mixture. 
 
6.  Heat a large pan on medium heat.  Drizzle olive oil across the bottom of the pan and add 2 tbsp. of butter.
 
7.  When the skillet is hot and the butter has melted add the clam patties.  Fry the patties flipping them over once they become golden brown. It should be about 4 min on each side.


 
  Happy Tuesday my Friends!

1 comment: