Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Chocolate Zucchini Cake


Ahhh....mid August...still of few weeks of summer to go.  Now I know that I will not be making many friends with what I am about to say....but....I am ready for Fall.  I love Fall....I don't know why but really it has to be my favorite season.  I love the colors of Fall....the cool crisp sunny days....and all the wonderful Fall recipes that I have to prepare for my family and friends.
 
Of course....it is my friends fault that I got thinking about Fall.  A quick trip to her garden the other day and she sent me home with a bag of apples, a zucchini and a bunch of garlic.  All those things just scream FALL! to me.  So...thanks Heidi!  You are the best.
 
My family loves zucchini bread....well...to be honest not Jakey.  Of course I think he hears zucchini and thinks veg...not delish sweet bread.  Oh...that boy!  So I thought maybe I would try chocolate....I know if I could just get him to try it he would love it. 
 
 
I came across this recipe over at www.caramelpotatoes.com and it looked and sounded perfect so I thought I would give it a try.  I can tell you as it was baking it filled the house with this wonderful smell of chocolate with the slight hint of cinnamon.  In fact the funny thing was Jake said "wow...that smells really good".  

After I took the cake out and let it cool just a bit I sprinkled powdered sugar on top hoping  to disguise the green flecks to my lil skeptic.  The cake was super moist....had a rich chocolate flavor and the boys LOVED it....even Jake.  (and my nephew Kyle.....he is worse than Jake when it comes to trying new things.)

So...the battle was won.  I will silently put a check in the win column for this Momma.



Measure flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and ground cloves into a bowl.

Use a whisk and combine the dry ingredients well.

Grate or chop zucchini until you have 2 cups. 

Beat sugar, softened butter and oil until smooth.

Add eggs, buttermilk and vanilla.  Blend until combined.

Slowly add the dry mixture.  Beat on low until well combined.  I added it a cup at a time just to be sure that it was well incorporated into the wet ingredients.  Then fold in the chopped zucchini.

Last came the chocolate chips.  The original recipe calls for the chips to be sprinkled on top of the cake batter after it has been poured into the pan.  I kind of forgot and just folded the chips in before the pan....oops!  But here is the good news.....it still came out just fine!  There are little hidden pockets of melty chips within the cake instead of having it on the upper layer.  You decide how you want to add them...either way is great.


Pour the cake batter into a 13x9 baking pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray.  Place into a 325 degree oven for 40-45 minutes.

 Remove from oven and allow to cool a bit before cutting to serve.

A little dusting of powdered sugar and they are ready!

 
 Chocolate Zucchini Cake
 
   2 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 medium zucchini, seeded and shredded (about 2 cups)
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
 
1.  Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees.
 
2.  Grease 13- by 9-inch baking pan.
 
3.  Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and cloves in bowl.
 
4.  With electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter, oil, and sugar until smooth.
 
5.  Add eggs, vanilla, and buttermilk and mix until incorporated.
 
6.  Stir in flour mixture until combined.
 
7.  Stir in zucchini, then pour mixture into prepared pan.
 
8.  Top batter with chocolate chips and bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 40-45 minutes. Cool on wire rack. Serve.
 
 
Happy Tuesday My Friends!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment