Thursday, August 8, 2013

Broccoli Salad

Those hot summer days always brings salads to mind in our house.  I will often mix up some type of salad on Monday and my family will eat it with meals all week long.  Last week it was an Italian pasta salad.....this week it is broccoli salad.  I started making this salad 10 years ago....I remember because the first time I made it I was pregnant with my youngest son and I had to make a huge bowl for my Dad's 60th birthday party.  I had horrible morning sickness....which was more like "all day" sickness.  Wow...that seems like a long time ago.....my dad will be 70 at the end of this month....and since then I have made this salad dozens of times. 

Here is the good news.....it is simple easy!  Really...the most difficult part is trimming the broccoli and frying bacon.  I know there are lots of variations out there for this salad.  Some call for cranberries and sunflower seeds.....some for red onion....all seem good....but this is my favorite.




Chop and trim 5 cups of broccoli.  I tend to trim mine into small pieces.  It takes a little more time but I find that it is easier to eat.  Bottom line....the size will no change the flavor....so do what is best for you.

Finely chop green onions.

Fry 5-6 strips of bacon until crisp.....and crumble when cool.  I usually cut my bacon into pieces before I put it in the pan.  Save me a step and you don't have to worry about the bacon having enough room to lay flat.

Gather up the cashews and golden raisins.

Toss everything together into a large bowl.

For the dressing combine mayo, brown sugar and rice wine vinegar.  Apple cider vinegar would work just as well.....but I prefer rice wine.  Whisk together until creamy and well combined.  I typically will add a tablespoon or so of milk....just to thin it a bit....it will make it easier to toss in the salad.

Pour over the salad and toss until all the yummy pieces of broccoli are coated.

There it is....perfect for eating right now....or place in the refrigerator and enjoy later. 

For those of you who have never had this salad or some variation.....you are probably thinking "ugh...what a combination!"  But don't be too quick to judge....it really is delish.


Broccoli Salad
 
5 cups of trimmed broccoli
5-6 pieces of  bacon, crisp and crumbled
1 cup of golden raisins
1 cup cashews
 
1 1/2 cup mayo
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp. milk
 
1.  Wash and trim broccoli.  Place into a large bowl.
 
2.  Toss broccoli with bacon, raisins and cashews.
 
3.  For the dressing....mix mayo, brown sugar and vinegar.  Whisk until well combined.  Add the milk to thin the dressing.....whisk until milk is incorporated into the dressing.
 
4.  Pour dressing over salad and toss.
 
 
Happy Thursday my Friends!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment