Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Garlic Focaccia Bread

You know there are a lot of things that I can do....in fact there are very few things that intimidate me....at least when it comes to cooking and baking.  I am always willing to try a new technique or a new ingredient.  Then there is baking bread.....yeast.....ugh!  Last fall I found a recipe for bread that I managed to master.  Whip up the dough....let it set on the counter over night....and bake the next day.  It is a no fail recipe....right up my alley.  I think really what it boils down to is.....I am very impatient and I have this really bad habit of not being exact in my measurements.  So when it comes to yeast....we don't always agree on temps and times.

I have a friend that is ALWAYS making breads....a mom that makes delicious rolls and they both leave me behind having bread envy.  Until now!  I pinned this focaccia recipe months ago from www.aspicyperspective.com.  My friend Heidi made it....her family loved it.  I have looked at it day after day trying to gain the courage and confidence to give it a try. 

Yesterday, we had pasta on the menu for dinner and I had no bread to serve with it.  I had been cleaning all day....I smelled like bleach...messy hair and feeling blah....I really didn't want to go to Safeway.  So...I pulled up the focaccia recipe and decided to give it a try.

I am so glad that I did.  It was so delicious....very easy and it turned out beautiful.  The dough raised up like it was supposed to....I am feeling very proud.  The funny thing is....I had no intention of blogging this recipe so I didn't take pics along the way....Until....the dough had risen and looked so gorgeous.




The original recipe called for roasted garlic and olives....I left out the olives and used minced garlic instead.  You could change it up and add sun dried tomatoes...I think dividing the dough and baking it thinner and using it as a pizza crust.  But the bottom line....it is delicious!


Garlic Focaccia Bread
 
¼ cups Hot Water
2 teaspoons Honey
1 package Dry Active Yeast (2 Tsp Packet Size)
1-½ cup Cold Water
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil + Extra For Bowl And Dish
1-½ teaspoon Sea Salt
2 Tablespoons minced garlic
4 cups All-purpose Flour
Salt And Pepper
 
1.  Pour the hot water and honey into the bowl of your electric mixer. Swirl the bowl around until the honey has dissolved and the water is just luke-warm.

2.  Add one package of dry active yeast and swirl around. Allow the yeast to foam for 10 minutes or so.

3.  Then add the cold water, 3 tablespoons oil, salt, and  garlic.

4.  Using the bread hook attachment, turn the mixer on low and slowly add the flour. “Knead” on low for about 10 minutes.

5.  Pull the dough away from the sides and rub the bowl down with oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow the dough to rise for 1 ½ to 2 hours.

6.   Remove the plastic wrap and turn the mixer back on for 30 seconds.

7.  Thoroughly oil a 9×13 or 11×15 rimmed baking dish. Press to dough to the edges, don’t be afraid to let your fingers puncture the dough—this will created the bumpy, rustic texture of traditional focaccia bread.

8.  Drizzle the top with more olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. Cover the dough with a clean damp towel. Allow the dough to rise again for at least 1 hour.

9.  Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Bake for 35-45 minutes, until the top is golden-brown. (If you used a 11×15 dish, it might be more like 30-35 minutes.)

You can leave the focaccia in the baking dish or turn it out for easy cutting.
 
Today....take on a challenge and conquer it!
Happy Tuesday! 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment